History

DJ Gallego

THE HISTORY OF
DON JOSE GALLEGO ELEMENTARY SCHOOL


In 1918, Don Jose Gallego donated 2 blocks of land to the Laredo Independent School District. Six years later, in 1924 construction began on a 2-classroom school that was named Buenos Aires, a name suggested by Don Jose.  With an increasing student population, the school expanded in 1930.  In 1970, the 2 original classrooms were burned leaving only the two newer wings available and LISD built additional classrooms to replace the original plant.  Miss Maria Teodora Viscaya was the school’s first Principal, serving until her retirement and was replaced by Jose Hernandez, who was later promoted to Director of Student Accounting. Following Hernandez as Principal of the school was Francisca Gonzalez until 1975, followed by George Andrews and Arturo Gutierrez. Future Principals included Veronica Guerra, Saul Saenz, Adriana Lombrana, Margarita Coronado, San Juana Garza, Guadalupe Cortez, and most recent Principal, Imelda Charó Martinez. 

 

Don Jose Gallego Elementary School, formally known as Buenos Aires Elementary School, was established in 1924.  It is an elementary that is part of the Laredo Independent School District.  There are 764 students enrolled in grades Pre-K through 5th grades.  The faculty and staff is comprised of 42 teachers, 30 para-professionals, 6 custodians and 10 support staff.  

 

At DJ Gallego Elementary School, learning is the key to a bright and successful future.  By setting high standards, the school plays a crucial role in preparing the students to meet the challenges and demands of today’s high-tech and multicultural workplace.

 
Through daily enforcement of LIGER PRIDE expectations, we encourage and promote a high standard of academic, social and personal achievement for all of our students. We enhance the instructional day with team-building and self-esteem motivation in order to create a positive school culture where “Learning is Fun”.